Hasegawa in the early 1990's produced a number of large scale Plastic model kits during the financial bubble period. There were two variants including this one. The Type X model was made in 1993, it's already 17 years old, but like new.
I, by chance, picked it up from a store in Japan for quite a substantial sum. But I have a dilemma. It's an awesome kit that I'd love to build but I don't have the space or the tools at the moment. Also there is also the thought that someone else "a true modeller" would be screaming to get their hands on this and do a much better job than me.
Erix' awesome RX7 model information shows the differences. Basically it is modelled in Black Resin and changes to the steering wheel, wing less rear and the type X spoiler up front.
Hasegawa already have the ultimate reputation for quality (true from personal experience) and the Z Zone series kits are awesome. They feature Metal Die Cast 13b Manifold and piping, working steering, spring suspension and many other beautiful details like opening doors etc. This one has a rubber decal for the sunroof surround. Small details like the alloy pedal covers are also beautiful.
The body is of course the main focus of any RX7 model and this one is awesome and moulded to be the same as Brilliant Black. Perhaps beautiful enough to clear coat. (not that we would)
Other details like the windows and rear light assembly are pre painted to ensure beginners dont screw up these impact pieces.
Inside there is an Mazda Efini RX-7 technical brochure with detailed images of all aspects you'd need to produce the perfect replica. (or use RE-Xtreme as a reference)
Japanese RX-7 FD3s purists would know that in 1993 Noriko Sakai managed an Rx7 race team. The kit includes some decals from the N1 Production Endurance Nori-P-House race team, but unfortunately you need the other parts to complete the conversion. Unfortunately, this kit doesn't include the racing buckets or the spoilers and other parts to complete the replica. That was available separately.
Most of you are asking who Noriko is.
Firstly, NORI P HOUSE Race Team was originally a race team that ran an EG6 civic in 1991/2.
Noriko Sakai was/is a beautiful female singer, then teen idol who was selected to manage the team in the Taikyu series as a promotional venture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8lfQuyurs
The Taikyu FD was developed by the same team and wore similar graphics and actually did pretty well in the 1993 N1 Taikyu Production series. It was an FD3s after all. Results are here just to prove it's real.
In a strange twist 2009 saw Noriko Sakai convicted on drugs charges. So this kit has some kind of wierd history. A japanese friend laughed at this...a lot.
So as I look at the images on the 17 year old (slightly weathered) box
I dream or wonder.
Should I keep it or sell it. If you're interested and would like to offer a realistic amount. (remember the original kit was 19800 yen in 1993) Let me know, I'll be loading other images somewhere else for a more detailed view.
Russ.








No comments:
Post a Comment
Enter a comment here...
--
Contact me anytime. Email RE-Xtreme.
--
Send me any info about any Fd3s related event or FD. E-mail Event Information.
--
If you want me to feature your FD, send me some pictures and a short story and I'll load you up in the owners section. Email a Feature.